December 11, 2015

Einstein's Discoveries Still Improving Modern Life 100 Years Later

[From article]
“Only now, a century later, are we gathering apples from the tree he planted: black holes that tear stars apart … ; cosmic gravitational lenses that distort images of faraway galaxies, as if seen through a funhouse mirror. And perhaps the biggest wonder of all: a comprehensive and detailed understanding of the evolution of the universe. Amazingly, in just 100 years, humankind has uncovered 13.8 billion years of cosmic history.
[. . .]
“All known forms of matter and energy—that is, all the particles and radiation that make up us, the Earth, the sun, all planets, stars and intergalactic clouds—comprise just 4% of the grand total. The remaining 96% is made of unknown forms of “dark matter” and an even more mysterious “dark energy,” which permeates all of space and drives the universe to expand faster and faster. These days there is a lot of talk about the 1% of society, but from a cosmic point of view, we are all part of just 4% of the Cosmos.”
[. . .]
Soon after the Nazis seized power in 1933, they banned the teaching of Einstein’s work within the Reich. Einstein settled in Princeton for the last 22 years of his life; the German relativity community was decimated.”

November 27, 2015
Einstein, Your GPS (and Me)
By S. Fred Singer

No comments: