April 18, 2012

Bird Watching Brings Police Scrutiny

[Submitted by Eleanor White, Retired Engineer]

When you reach your seventies, you sometimes
feel you've seen and heard it all. But this morning,
I was startlingly reminded I haven't.

Walking home from town center, I took the
Wxxxxxx Trail (south end mall parking lot) up to
Hxxxxxx Ave. This trail passes through a nice
woodlot, in which I always stop in the trees, and
watch for squirrels and birds.

This morning, I noticed a black sedan, with tinted
windows, driving towards me from the north,
along Hxxxxxx, Ontario licence BKYB-109, and
suddenly slowing to a stop.

This car did have the ~140 MHz antenna which
is one of the OPP frequencies, and the antenna
style matched that used by the OPP, so I took
the stop seriously.

Immediately, the slender, military-like, crew cut
occupant, wearing plain clothes, flashed a badge
out the window at me and said "Police."

He then went on to say that he stopped because
I was standing in the woods, and doing that is
"weird."

I walked over to his car as he got out with his
police walkie talkie, and demanded to know who
I was and where I lived. As I gave him that
information, he repeated a couple of more times
that standing in the woods is "weird."

He demanded to know why I was standing in the
woods, which is puzzling since many Xxxx Xxxxx
residents walk or stand in the woods. I answered
"looking for birds or squirrels."

He made a gruff, official-sounding "You can go,"
did a military about face, got in the car and drove
off.

Reminded me of those WW II era movies set in
Germany.

No comments: