July 24, 2011

Identity Theft and Credit Agencies

[From article]
"So I called Experian and the operator asked if I had authorized someone named Brandy and another person named James to use my credit card to get their credit reports. My own credit report, thankfully, hadn't been ordered. The operator gave me the last initials of James and Brandy just in case I might have forgotten.
No, I hadn't authorized them to do anything with my card.
[. . .]
I inquired: Would James and Brandy be notified that someone tried to steal their credit reports? The Experian operator said they wouldn't, because the company didn't know how to reach them.
What? Of course you do! You have all their personal information on the credit report, I yelled."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/chinese_takeout_fraud_side_surprise_BDI3lfMJeYvqec9wC1GI2K

Chinese takeout with a side of financial fraud
John Crudele
New York Post
Last Updated: 3:09 AM, July 21, 2011
Posted: 11:56 PM, July 20, 2011

No comments: