February 6, 2013

Tribute To Journalist Karen Klinger


Karen Klinger

Karen Klinger died on December 16, 2012. She was young, full of life and and had an unquenchable curiosity. Her eyes revealed she was a happy person, one of the few real journalists who took the time to write about Cambridge. Here's a link to articles she published in the magazine The Scientist

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.authors/authorNo/2448/Karen-Klinger



Karen Klinger
We met a couple of times and she was friendly. For me that is a lot. Most people in Cambridge shun me. We exchanged emails for a while. I admired her plain writing about Cambridge and the people in this misguided haven. She was one of the few people in the City who appreciated my humor. I wonder if it was my humor that killed all three of them. She asked for suggestions about ugly structures in the city. I recommended the City Council, and she laughed. Paying close attention is enough to outrage observers. It can also be a great source of humor if you can stand it. No one can deny that Karen was aware of what was going on around her. As Susan Hunziker mentioned, Karen was willing to stay and see what happened at neighborhood meetings. She had a strong constitution. She was able to describe what she saw in language others could understand. I was grateful for the time she gave to others.


Karen Klinger

She gave her time and tried to get CCTV to focus on local events. Five years as a volunteer was enough for me, unable to continue accepting abuse from the management, staff and members. It was not worth the effort for me. I left CCTV before Karen arrived. Here's a link to her posts while at CCTV. 

http://www.cctvcambridge.org/user/kmklinger



NeighborMedia Spotlight on Karen Klinger
Uploaded on Nov 25, 2009

Karen Klinger talks about her motivation for joining NeighborMedia and shares her thoughts on some of the stories she has covered for Cambridge Community Television's civic journalism program.

Karen was not an object of derision as I was. I tried to help her with what I knew but never was able to regain my interest or passion for reporting to the local community. Few people seemed curious about what was passing for governance in Cambridge. It seems that the establishment in Cambridge beats down anyone who takes an interest in what is happening. I was saddened to learn that she was ill and sadder now that she is no longer with us. I wish her peace and thank her for what she did to help get information to the closed minds in Cambridge. 

Karen Klinger's family put this together and it was published in The Cambridge Day

[Link to Susan Hunziker's remembrance embedded] 
http://www.cambridgeday.com/2012/12/19/karen-m-klinger/

No comments: