February 22, 2014

George Washington's Birthday





My Timid Eternity
 
I am thinking how lonesome it will be in Heaven
with only George Washington and me there. 
I suppose we will recite the Beatitudes
and wonder when they are coming---
the meek, the merciful, the peacemakers,
those who are pure in heart. 
Roasting marshmallows in the evening
I will broach the subject of lies. 
He will hand me a wig
and some leeches, which I will decline,
still thinking about the others---
if they went to the Babies Camp by mistake
we could maybe get a letter out.
Heaven should not be full of worry
but if anyone knows more about it than this, 
if you have your own version---
leafy, airy, full, fountainous---
bless you, you are more lonesome 
than either the General or I. 
 
Mary Ruefle
Selected Poems
Wave Books, 2011

No comments: