September 7, 2008

Oprah's Forked Tongue

Oprah's Forked Tongue

In Alice in Wonderland Humpty Dumpty said, "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean."

The Guardian in the UK reports at

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/07/uselections2008.sarahpalin1


US election: Storm as Oprah says no to Palin interview
* Paul Harris in New York and Ed Pilkington in Alaska
* The Observer,
* Sunday September 7 2008

[. . .]
Oprah Winfrey, America's favourite daytime TV star, has refused to have Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin as a guest on her talk show.
[. . .]
But Winfrey, responding to rumours on conservative websites like the Drudge Report that her staff was divided on the issue, squashed the idea of an interview. 'When I decided that I was going to take my first public stance in support of a candidate, I made the decision not to use my show as a platform for any of the candidates,' she said in a statement.
[. . .]
'I agree that Sarah Palin would be a fantastic interview, and I would love to have her on after the campaign is over,' Winfrey said.

The issue shows the potential danger in Winfrey's open support for Obama, especially as he was a guest on her show several times before she came out in favour of his candidacy.
[. . .]
* guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2008

No comments: